Oldie Goldie.



"Abhi na jaao chod Kar,
Ke dil abhi bhara nahi"
The legendary singer Mohammad Rafi sings as I lose myself in the oldie.
Not that it's something I relate to at a spiritual level but neither is it beyond my understanding.
As the playlist moves from one classic to another,from " Abhi na jaao " to " Gaata rahe mera dil " to " Kabhi Kabhi mere dil mein " to Tum itna jo muskura rahe ho ", I get only more engrossed than before.What is it though,about these melodies that we somehow cling on to them.I don't remember the amount of times I must've hit "next" when a not so old song played.It may be because it wasn't good enough,or didn't fit into the mood,or I didn't just feel like it.But it is very few a times that an old tune didn't "feel right".It almost always does.
I'm not a retro fan as such,but I appreciate it.
Is it the low-key simple melodies or the symphonic slow tempo.The lyrical majesty or the soulful voices,almost always the cherry on top.The not so "larger than life" creation or it coming right from the bottom of the hearts of the creators.
To me,it's the effortless thought of theirs,the absent intention of making it too grand or royal.It is the very modesty of those songs that make us hold on to them.Can't let go,can we?
Not a million remakes and reprises could replace what trend was set by those paramount artists.
To "aaj blue hain paani paani paani" from "Rimjhim where saawan".To " DJ Waale Babu" from "Dafli waale".To "Badtameez dil" from "Dard-e-dil",are we upgrading or sinking low?
Of course not all's that bad.With the kind of talent coming up,the technical development and exposure at its peak,Music today has set its own standards and created a whole new universe to be discovered.
But sometimes it's not the extreme showcase of the vocal abilities of the singer or the creators that we want,it's the simplicity and friendly melodies that we miss.
Those which give us "feels".

Comments