No,cause I have options.Yes,cause I won't use any of them.


As I hand over the answer sheet to the invigilator, I feel 137 pair of eyes look at me in awe. With the classroom full of hands racing to ink down as much as possible, who wouldn't be surprised at someone turning in a 3 hours paper in half an hour? 
Foundation of Philosophy, that's what the subject read, when I got the question paper. I stared at the jumble of words as I tried to figure out what was it that it actually expected of me.But nothing came to me. Why would it?  I hadn't touched the study material and I felt like JonSnow. I knew nothing.Nevertheless, I scanned the print, and tried finding at least one word, one familiar word. And Ah!  I found it. There it was. Purusharthas. Something we'd been taught in 11th, 12th and  now in 1rst year Graduation too. 

Purusharthas,  basically , are goals or aims to be attained by a person in their lifetime in the given respective stages of life. There are 4 Purusharthas. Dharma, Artha, Kaama and Moksha. These, in the ancient era were known to be the ideal goals or aims of life. And then it hit me. What about now? What are the ideal goals of our lives now? 

We are lying, if we say there is no such aim in my life. Everyone has a goal. Everyone has that one thing they want so badly they'd do anything for it. Everyone thinks about something, every time someone talks about motivation, inspiration, success. And if everyone has something that drives them to work hard, then why don't we see as many people working their asses off as we should?? 

Thousands of years ago, when people had no choice, the stages to proceed were un-deniable, people did it. They did it even if they hated it. Why?  
The answer is unavailability of choice. 

At today's date, we have the freedom to say No. No to studies,No to working hard, to hardships, to staying up at night and reading just because you're scared you might fail, no to everything. We have options, and although that's not bad, it is unfortunately not cent percent a pro too. Look around you. Look at all the success stories that you can possibly find. How many of them came from people who had "options". I think by now you get the hint about what I'm trying to say. 

We can say no to studying, cause we know "adjustments" are possible. 
We can say no to hardships, cause can always work somewhere else, if not here. 
We can say no and not worry about failing, cause backlogs can be cleared in the next term. 

Stop. And think. 
Is this how you'll get what you want. Is this what you want. 
Is thr fear of not being accepted the reason of your implicit desires, or is it the fact, that you've accepted you might never really succeed at making real, that dream? 


Comments